Accuracy of Worldview reports

How accurate are the geolocation features of CM reports? I think it's a great feature and it can have the wow factor for clients, but a few of them have recently pointed out some inaccuracy.

Under the snapshot for a particular subscriber, their location for an open can be quite vague, such as UK, a bit more accurate, such as London or more accurate, such as a town X within Greater London.

When the open location is stated as 'a town X within London' this does not, on many occasions, correlate with the open location pinned to the relevant worldview report map. i.e. the subscriber is not shown on the worldview map  as opening the campaign at the location stated under the subscriber snapshot.

Is there some documentation on how much we can read into this data as I could not find it?

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi dozzq, sorry about the lack of information available on worldview's accuracy. The geolocation is based solely on the recipient's IP address, which is to say it's very much an approximate location. At best it can provide an indication of approximately which region/city the subscriber is located in, but there are a number of reasons why it can also be wildly off the mark.

For example, the subscriber may be on a VPN that is housed remotely, or they could have forwarded the email to someone elsewhere, who then opened it. Sometimes, a data center for the mail admin can be housed in different city and the server will open emails to test for spam/phishing activity, therefore recording an open far from where the recipient actually is.

For this reason, we don't recommend using worldview for organising hits, dropping bombs or other mission-critical applications ;)

Thanks, dozzq! Let us know if you have any other questions about this :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Jaytay, 4 years ago

On my last campaign Worldview show that my friend opened the email in 3 different, and pretty distant, states in the US.  One of the opens shows he clicked the "Like" button.  Which I believe is impossible since he doesn't have a Facebook account.  Any thoughts on why this may be? Here's a screen grab

Phil Phil, 4 years ago

Hi Jaytay,

The emails we send out are individually personalised, to the extent that all links in both the email and webversion are specific to the original subscriber. That means that if he forwards his copy of the email (not using the forward to a friend link) to any of his friends, or supplies them with his webversion, then any actions from them will appear in the reports as coming from him.

This isn't an issue with worldview as such, it's simply what happens when you track individual subscriber actions. The best way around it is to provide a "forward to my friends" button in your email, but even that's not foolproof.

dedra dedra, 4 years ago

Hi Jaytay,

as I understand it:

Rosanne and Phil have right. It may have more reasons.

If I look to Worldview Reports of our campaigns, then even if we have most subscribers from Czech Republic or Slovakia, some users open it in U.S., U.K. and in other pretty distant locations like yours. Sure, some subscribers have registered his work e-mail addresses and if they work in international company, that have organized his LAN network as headquarter and branch offices and all communications is realized through headquarter, then even if subscriber sits in Prague, Czech Republic (for example), in Worldview look like open campaign in U.S. (or U.K, Germany etc.). Or it's connected through VPN or through remote desktop to their company mail application and mailbox.

Migration subscribers open location can be maybe about proxy server use and/or dynamic anonymous proxy servers use. Or simply subscriber travels, because it's his/her job or is on small (one, two day) or longer (week) vacation.

So, for fast preview where your (our) subscribers is located, Worldview is perfect place and prefect idea. Thanks CM.

Another case is, if subscriber forward campaign mail message (targeted to him) to his friends without use "Forward to a Friend" part of CM. Then this has an effect not only to reports and statistics of original subscriber, but to all parts, including unsubscribe. If one from these "friends" click to unsubscribe link, this unsubscribe original subscriber. It's a dangerous, but CM nothing to do for it. It's about subscribers behavior and use / not use CM's "Forward to a Friend" functionality.

djwhisky, 4 years ago

Accurate IP Geolocation in the UK is patchy at best as it tends to be related to where your ISP is based not where you are based - we're located in Kent but often our location comes out as Bradford or Birmingham!

dedra dedra, 4 years ago

Sure, it's ISP based. All ISP have assigned range of public IP addresses and it depends on which client get a specific address within range. Most ISP offers its services across whole country. Extreme situation is with mobile devices and with wide area wireless networks. With these, IP gelocation can be far, far away from real location, where client /subscriber/ sits and can be migrated depends on to which access point is client at the moment connected.

Phil Phil, 4 years ago

Hi jaytay,

dedra is correct (thank you, dedra) - apart from email forwards there could be other reasons for a single subscriber appearing in multiple places, and travel and VPN usage are important ones. Neither or those is going to make your friend have a facebook account, however, so something simple like email forwarding is still very likely.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free