Fallback info

Hi

Maybe I'm being thick, but I'm new to CM and am having two (related?) problems.

First, maybe I should explain what I'm trying to do. By default I obviously have the "Name" and "Email" fields, but rather than "Name", I need to break this down into "First Name" and "Last Name" - using everything before the first space or everything after the last space doesn't work as we work with shareholders who might have two names in the record such as "Marge & Homer Simpson", so the first name needs to be "Marge and Homer" when emails are sent out. I presume that is a case of adding custom fields for "First Name" and "Last Name".

Question 1:
Can I remove the default "Name" field or change its name? I know I don't have to use it in emails, but I don't want it showing in the user's preferences either.

Question 2:
I can't see how to enter the fallback info when adding a "Personalization Tag". I've read this:
http://help.campaignmonitor.com/topic.aspx?t=33
and a few other pages on the topic. The above link says:

When personalizing a recipient's name, you can provide a fallback value which is displayed if that field is empty for that recipient. If you would like nothing displayed when a recipient's name field is empty, simply leave the fallback value blank (e.g. [firstname,fallback=]).

It doesn't seem to say where you enter the fallback value though - I assumed you enter the fallback value when you create the field but can't see how to do that?

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi h2o, welcome to the forums and thanks for using our service! I'll do my best to help out here.

Question 1:
Can I remove the default "Name" field or change its name? I know I don't have to use it in emails, but I don't want it showing in the user's preferences either.

At present, you can't, I'm sorry to say. Both the Name and Email fields can't be edited, or hidden from the preference center.

It doesn't seem to say where you enter the fallback value though - I assumed you enter the fallback value when you create the field but can't see how to do that?

You enter the fallback in the tag itself, so in this example, you could enter something like:

Seasons greetings, [firstname,fallback=mate!]

In regards to the situation you were in earlier, you may want to consider creating a 'spousefirstname' custom field to personalise the greeting like so:

Dear [firstname,fallback=] and [spousefirstname,fallback=family],

I've left out the surname in this instance, but you may have a solid way of working it around the fallback.

Thanks h2o! Let me know if you have any questions about this - always happy to help :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
h2o, 4 years ago

Hi

Thanks for that - I'll have a think about the best way to use those fields then.

I'm still not clear on where the fallback tag is entered - do you enter the fallback tag in the email? I thought that you entered it in the tag when you create it in the "Custom Fields" page because that page shows "fallback=" for all of my custom fields. Will it always say that rather than e.g. [firstname,fallback=mate!]?

Danny

Diana Diana, 4 years ago

Danny,

The fallback is entered in the campaign itself. So you can set the fallback specific to the campaign you're sending. The fallback= text you see on the custom fields page is just showing you a blank tag to remind you to add one when you add the tag to your campaign.

~*~~*~~*~~*~
D. Potter
Campaign Monitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098