CM Capabilities...Guidance needed.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. 

We currently design 8 emails monthly for a Fortune 100 company.  We are not involved at all with their list management, delivery or analysis.  They currently send to a total of 800,000 - 1,000,000 recipients monthly. 
We are in the process of developing a proposal of our firm taking over these duties from their current vendor.  Needless to say this growth is good for our firm but also scary and risky and we can't afford to make any mistakes that might jeopardize our current assignments.  Our research continually brings us back to Campaign Monitor, I have several questions that I would appreciate feedback from any one at CM as well as current clients of CM that have similar experiences. 

1. Will CM have any issues sending 800,000 - 1,000,000 emails monthly in 100,000 increments?  What is the delivery time for 100,000 emails?

2. Will the CM API adequately handle our Clients subscription management page?  Currently, unsubscribe links take recipients to their personalized subscription page where they can manage which of the 8 different newsletters they receive monthly. 

3. Will the segmentation feature allow management of the above subscriptions?  I.e. allow sorting via 'newsletter' segment with an additional rule for individual newsletter by name (equals)?

4. Unsubscribe Link - Is it possible to disable the built-in/auto unsubscribe feature in CM?  Or is possible to customize this link to redirect recipients to the Clients subscription page mentioned above?

5. Custom URL - Can we use our URL for the reporting feature and web versions parallel with our own website or will be need a subdomain for this?

6. Web version - is there a hosting limit or expiry date?

7. Personalization - any limits I should be aware of in terms of personalization?  Is subject line personalization possible?

8. Dynamic Email Generation - Our Client is interested in allowing users to manage the emails they receive via their current e-newsletter subscription page BUT dynamically bundling these email into 1 email and sending one email with all of the different designs/emails generated for that month.  Strategically it doesn't seem like a good idea but we need to address their idea of Dynamic Email in our proposal, does anyone have any experience with this?

Anything else that I haven't mentioned please feel free to post. 
Best.

karynn karynn, 8 years ago

Have you sent an email to support? This seems an important enough question for both you and CM to answer thoroughly/accurately. I would think they could have one of their salespeople work with you.
http://www.campaignmonitor.com/support/

style campaign style campaign, 8 years ago

Hi Ibrentg,

I can help you out with a couple of your questions...

No.4 - I do not believe it is possible to disable the unsubscribe feature.

No.7 - I regularly personalize my subject lines, it is very easy to do:

Hi [firstname,fallback=need a Valentines outfit?] 50% off Fall/Winter collection

This will insert your subscribers first name into the subject line.

The rest of your questions are better of answered by the CM guys!

Good Luck with the project.

Dave Dave, 8 years ago

Hey Ibrentg, thanks for the questions, and thanks to others for already chiming in and helping out.

1. Will CM have any issues sending 800,000 - 1,000,000 emails monthly in 100,000 increments?  What is the delivery time for 100,000 emails?

Those volumes won't be a problem, and a campaign of 100,000 recipients or so will be delivered in around 30 minutes. This figure might fluctuate a little given the time of day the campaign is sent, but is a good general guide.

2. Will the CM API adequately handle our Clients subscription management page?  Currently, unsubscribe links take recipients to their personalized subscription page where they can manage which of the 8 different newsletters they receive monthly.

We're not far off launching a customizable preference center for each of your clients lists that will allow each recipient to manage their own subscription. Until then, the only option is to unsubscribe from that list completely. This feature should be available some time next month.

3. Will the segmentation feature allow management of the above subscriptions?  I.e. allow sorting via 'newsletter' segment with an additional rule for individual newsletter by name (equals)?

Yes, certainly. You can easily create a segment with multiple options developing on the type of content they'd like to receive. You can then send targeted emails to each segment based on their preferences.

4. Unsubscribe Link - Is it possible to disable the built-in/auto unsubscribe feature in CM?  Or is possible to customize this link to redirect recipients to the Clients subscription page mentioned above?

As mentioned above, you'll need to include our own unsubscribe links in your campaign. Having said that, you can completely customize this process and redirect unsubscribers to your clients own landing pages.

5. Custom URL - Can we use our URL for the reporting feature and web versions parallel with our own website or will be need a subdomain for this?

Right now you can only use a client-customized sub-domain I'm afraid. This may be something we support in the future, but in the mean time the generic domain has been working well for our other customers.

6. Web version - is there a hosting limit or expiry date?

Certainly not, and we'll host all your campaigns for the life of your account free of charge.

7. Personalization - any limits I should be aware of in terms of personalization?  Is subject line personalization possible?

We allow you to store up to 10 custom fields on top of name and email address, and you can customize each email with any of these values. As mentioned above, you can certainly customize your subject lines, email content and even other emails like subscription confirmations.

8. Dynamic Email Generation - Our Client is interested in allowing users to manage the emails they receive via their current e-newsletter subscription page BUT dynamically bundling these email into 1 email and sending one email with all of the different designs/emails generated for that month.  Strategically it doesn't seem like a good idea but we need to address their idea of Dynamic Email in our proposal, does anyone have any experience with this?

We don't support dynamic email content I'm afraid, so you'd need to send a separate campaign to each segment. It can certainly make things complex very quickly in my experience, and I don't see the approach of sending multiple campaigns that much more work.

Thanks for all the questions, please let me know if there's anything else on your mind.

lbrentg, 8 years ago

Everyone, thank you!  The advice and guidance is great.  CM certainly is the an amazing product and the community is tops also.  My job was to find a reason not to use CM - looks like I've failed. 

Thanks again,
Brent

Mathew Mathew, 8 years ago

That's great to hear Brent, thanks for letting us know. Fire through an email to support if you have any questions once you get started.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098