We've integrated a website with CM as part of a "lead nurturing campaign". As part of the integration, we set up lots of lists (where we really should have had segments). Subsequently, someone can exist in as many as 3 lists which is making us pay for a much higher tariff than we need to - which isn't ideal going forward so I now need to set about fixing the mistake. I was hoping I would be able to merge this data together somehow, so here is what I tried to do:
Say I had lists:
(A) Favourite Candy
(B) Favourite Colour
(C) Favourite Food
Someone (email@example.com for example) could be in all of the list (A) with Lollipops, (B) with Purple and (C) with Italian.
I exported the three lists together, stuck them into a spreadsheet (with three columns, each representing what they input into lists A, B and C) set A, B and C up as custom fields and imported the contacts into CM expecting CM to merge the data together (I know, I feel really stupid now for expecting that!). So, for instance, I was expecting the following:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the following answers in the corresponding custom fields
Instead, only one of the fields would come across - not all of them. So instead I got email@example.com, (A) Lollipops, (B) -blank-, (C) -blank-
Can anyone help me combine this data? I'm really stuck and have like ten lists with circa 300 contacts in each that I need to combine.
Really appreciate any help you can provide. I couldn't even think of what to put into Google for help (a first!).
Hi Kas! It's likely that you have imported the values for these fields in a way that our app wan't expecting. You may want to take a look at these help topics for advice on how to populate custom fields:
If you come across any further issues after reading these guides, don't hesitate to email your list CSV file to support [at] campaignmonitor.com - we'll happily take a look and see why these details aren't being imported.
Just to say I went through the help desk and Stig was an awesome help.
If anyone wants to know how to do this, there's a functional called "vLookup" in Excel that is definitely worth looking into. It allowed me to put all of the data from each list on seperate sheets and then, using a unique identifier (the email address) recompile the data exactly as I required perfectly. Took minutes.
Thanks kas2 - we really appreciate you passing on this fix! Stig will be pleased to hear from you, too :) Have a great weekend!
While this example explains data that really does belong in separate fields, I wanted to point out that if you wanted to allow subscribers to select multiple answers for each field, they could be combined into one multiple choice field.
If you're not sure how to format each cell in a spreadsheet to import that kind of data, you can create a sample field with multiple values, then export it to see how CM does it (separated by double pipes). This technique has helped several of my clients that want to let's say identify favorite flavors, where there might be several preferences.
From Australia to Zimbabwe, and everywhere in between, companies count on Campaign Monitor for email campaigns that drive real business results.Get started for free