Conditional auto responders and unsubscribes - is this possible?

Hi, Sorry for the vague subject, I wasn't sure how to condense this into a single line!

I have a client who wants to use Campaign Monitor to send business emails.  They have 2 types of subscriber - PROSPECT and CUSTOMER.  Prospects will be sent a series of auto responders at set intervals from the time they are added to the system.  Customers need to be sent a series of auto responders based on a renewal date - 30 days before renewal is due, day of renewal, and then every 30 days after renewal due if it hasn't been paid.  Is there a way that I can set up auto responders to send the reminders only if the renewal hasn't been paid using a custom field or something like that?

Customers also receive 2 types of email, business emails such as the renewal reminders, and marketing emails such as new services available.  Customers should be able to unsubscribe from the marketing emails but not the business emails, is this possible? or is it possible to have two separate unsubscribe links in an email giving them an option to unsubscribe from just marketing emails or all emails (with a disclaimer saying they won't receive important information)?

When a prospect becomes a customer can they easily be moved from one list to another or do they need to be manually removed and re-added like a brand new subscriber?

Any advice would be gratefully received, I've used Campaign Monitor for many clients without trouble but this brief is pushing the limits of my CM knowledge and abilities!

Thanks,
Ali

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi Ali, thank you for writing in! I'll do my best to help out here:

Is there a way that I can set up auto responders to send the reminders only if the renewal hasn't been paid using a custom field or something like that?

At present it isn't possible to send autoresponders based on custom fields, but we're happy to look into this for you. You could potentially do something with our API, though - like transfer these subscribers to a new, 'Unpaid' list. Alternately, you can also use the API to null the date field once they've paid their membership, thus removing them from the autoresponder queue.

Customers also receive 2 types of email, business emails such as the renewal reminders, and marketing emails such as new services available. Customers should be able to unsubscribe from the marketing emails but not the business emails, is this possible?

This is a tricky one, as customers should be able to easily unsubscribe from all emails. You could potentially use custom fields (as in, custom field called 'Marketing') and send marketing emails to this segment only, then have customers opt-out of this segment using the preference center. But ultimately, when subscribers unsubscribe, they'll be removed from the list.

When a prospect becomes a customer can they easily be moved from one list to another or do they need to be manually removed and re-added like a brand new subscriber?

Using the API, they can be moved from one list to the next, by deleting them from the first list, then adding them to a new one. This bypasses the suppression list in the account.

Admittedly this is a pretty tricky brief to fulfil, as transactional email is not our strong point. For things like email notifications, you may be better off using a service like MailGun, then leaving the regular marketing emails to us. :) I hope this helps!

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
Ali Ali, 4 years ago

That's fabulous, thank you! I'll look into the API with one of our Developers and see what we can do.

Thanks,
Ali

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098