Email Authentication

Hi All,

We are using CM for the first time and loving it, but I am having one issue with a campaign for a client.

They are using Postini as their email service and it was blocking all emails from CM.  Naturally, I tested the authentication by adding a domain key to one of our own domains and it then the emails go through just fine.

That being said, we obviously don't want the emails to appear to be coming from us, but rather the client.  So the next step is to have them add their own domain key and test the campaign as coming from one of their email addresses.

Today, I was about to ask the client to add their own domain key and I logged into CM to set it up.  When I navigated to the authentication settings, I saw the 'Recommend' option of having CM authenticate for us and herein lies my questions.

1.  Is this method truly better, or does it just strike the best combination of effectiveness and ease of setup?

2.  Was this option there before and did I just miss it? ( I ask if it was there before, because it says 'starting March 19th')

Thanks for any and all help.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi HudsonDigital, welcome to the forums! You've been one of the early ones to notice this change in the app :) Happy to answer your questions here.

1.  Is this method truly better, or does it just strike the best combination of effectiveness and ease of setup?

I'd say it's just as effective from a delivery standpoint as setting up authentication yourself. But there are pros and cons. While allowing us to authenticate all emails sure is easier to setup, it will result in a 'via cmailx.com' (or similar) message appearing in the email header when viewed in Gmail. However, it is miles better than not having the email authenticated at all. Here's a little more info on email authentication.

2.  Was this option there before and did I just miss it? ( I ask if it was there before, because it says 'starting March 19th')

Actually, we only switched this on late last week - it's a very recent addition. We haven't formally announced it yet, but chances are that we will this week.

Thanks, HudsonDigital! Let us know if you have any other questions about this.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098