display:block stripped when forwarded from Outlook?

I was using display:block on my images to eliminate that extra padding given in Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo, but it wasn't working.

All my tests were going to Outlook 2007, then being forwarded to Gmail, et. al. The display:block fix wasn't working at all. So instead, I sent the email directly to Gmail (and the rest) and found out the email renders perfectly.

So, to my question...Does the display:block style get stripped when forwarded from Outlook? Is there a way around this so that when forwarded, the layout is maintained?

davidaf davidaf, 4 years ago

Hi Nick,

As far as I know there isn't a way to control what Outlook does to your code when forwarding, we've seen it cause all kinds of problems with formatting -  which is one of the many reasons we recommend using the Forward to a Friend feature - this will send a fresh version of the code, and in the case of actual sends will send a generic version which means the recipient can't accidentally unsubscribe you or cause other strange statistics on your subscriber history (location, opens, links, etc).

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free