Template Builder Feedback

Couple of comments on the Template Builder (based on using the basic two column layout):
1) There's a class defined as w160 for the mobile-specific styles for layout, but the width it's defined to be doesn't seem right.  All the rest of the classes reduce the size of the areas, as expected, but w160 is defined as "180".  Is that an error?

2) The tweet image that Campaign Monitor is hosting for us is listed as a png, but when I opened the file to edit it, there seems to be a problem - it wasn't displaying in Dreamweaver, and didn't seem to be transparent in an editor.  I had to search for an alternative that worked better.   Those images also seem to come across with a weird attribute: alt="Twitter icon"=""

3) Is there a document somewhere that discusses making changes to exported templates to adjust the width of certain areas?  For example, what if we want to make the sidebar of the basic layout wider?  I'm assuming there's a rule that we should be using to make sure that if the mobile-specific widths are added up, they shouldn't be more than a certain size.  Any tips for checking on this?

4) Since borders are supported by most email clients, should that be a style option in the GUI when creating a template using the builder?

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi BraceRosso, thanks for this awesome feedback on the template builder. Happy to answer these :)

1) There's a class defined as w160 for the mobile-specific styles for layout, but the width it's defined to be doesn't seem right...

Yes, this is an error on our part, one of our customers pointed it out to us soon after release. :) The templates still seem to do the task despite our poor arithmetic, but we'll look at fixing this in the future.

2) The tweet image that Campaign Monitor is hosting for us is listed as a png, but when I opened the file to edit it, there seems to be a problem

That's unusual, you should be able to view the tweet glyph here (note that it's largely transparent). Thanks for pointing out the strange attribute - again, it doesn't seem to be impacting how campaigns display, but we'll look at getting this fixed up.

3) Is there a document somewhere that discusses making changes to exported templates to adjust the width of certain areas?

Not at present, I'm sorry to say - we don't have a style or usage guide as yet, largely as there hasn't been a lot of demand for it. That said, we've got a lot of info in our blog about optimizing for mobile, including this post which notes how the layout was skinnied down to 300px in width. Personally, I don't recommend making mobile layouts more than 325px width, or risk tripping off the zoom on the device.

4) Since borders are supported by most email clients, should that be a style option in the GUI when creating a template using the builder?

That's certainly something for us to think about in a future release. Thanks for the suggestion! In the interim, you will need to export the template and edit it manually to make tweaks like this.

Cheers BraceRosso, thanks for the great suggestions here! We'll keep you posted if we make progress on the above.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098