Integrating with a large existing database

I am exploring using  Campaign Monitor with an existing large database.
I and my IT department are encouraged to see a good API with .NET wrappers.

On our current email marketing system, we update the subscribers via ftp on a nightly basis. We would look to do something similar via the CM API. Looking at the available methods, we would either use:

'Updating a subscriber' on an individual basis OR
'Importing many subscribers' for all.

Currently, we would need to update every member, every night.
We would begin with a list of tens of thousands of subscribers but this could grow very quickly.

The first option, would take a lot of processing! The second would allow us to always replace the existing list but having looked at running 2 lists on the dashboard, we would lose all their open/click/behaviour/location data which we would want to use for segmentation.

This could be a complicated request but I would be grateful if you could shed some light on this to help me with this situation.

Many thanks

davidaf davidaf, 4 years ago

Hi Huw,

You would use the Import Many Subscribers method into the same list, which would simply update any existing subscribers with new data without losing their previous history. See  specifically "If a subscriber (email address) already exists, their name and any custom field values are updated with whatever is passed in."

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks
huwtyler, 4 years ago

Thank you

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free