RSS to Email Issues/Questions

Hi guys,

I have a few issues/questions that I hope I can get help with. My neck is on the line here as I convinced my client to use CM rather than Aweber so I'm hoping I don't have to go back to them tomorrow and change my story.

#1. It seems to only pull 4 posts. Is this correct? I think Aweber was able to pull the complete RSS feed (10 items).

#2. Is it possible to take the actual text as per the feed itself rather than having to specify the first paragraph?

#3. When I do specify the first paragraph it is pulling in any images below the first paragraph which is destroying the layout of the email. Even though in WordPress the first paragraph is closed by a closing P tag. The image is below this in a IMG tag nested within a DIV.

Hopefully there are some solutions to my above issues as I'd much prefer go with CM.

Thanks.....

pixelfish pixelfish, 4 years ago

I am also having problem #1 - is there a way to feed all posts (including old posts) for selection?

Stephen, 4 years ago

Hi essjay,

Thanks for your questions and no problem, please find answers below:

1) It seems to only pull 4 posts. Is this correct? I think Aweber was able to pull the complete RSS feed (10 items)

If this is just in relation to a reoccurring RSS campaign, then just to clarify, after you enter your RSS feed URL into the "Start with the website’s address" field, we will display four RSS items on that screen, however this is just an example and so for the actual send it will include all new items, not just the first four.

For one-click campaigns pulling in an RSS feed, then again, we automatically select the first four RSS items, however you have the ability to add more by selecting the items on the left-hand column, and by selecting "Show older posts" at the base of the item list.

2) Is it possible to take the actual text as per the feed itself rather than having to specify the first paragraph?

Yes, if you include <rssbody paragraphs="all"></rssbody> in your template, then this should pull in the entire RSS feed item content as a result.

3) When I do specify the first paragraph it is pulling in any images below the first paragraph which is destroying the layout of the email. Even though in WordPress the first paragraph is closed by a closing P tag. The image is below this in a IMG tag nested within a DIV.

This should work here, however you may also wish to try either defining paragraphs='0' or including the following image within a P tag if possible, to ensure it's separated from the proceeding paragraph.

Let us know if you have any further questions or queries.

ryanjbonnell, 3 years ago

I encountered the same issue described in issue #1 -- no matter how many items are in the RSS feed, Campaign Monitor only shows the first four (4) items in a Recurring RSS Campaign.

I've tested this behavior against a stock Campaign Monitor RSS to Email template, so it can't be a templating issue.

Creating a Regular Campaign selects the first four (4) posts by default, but allows you to select all of the "Older Posts" from the RSS feed.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi there Ryan, sorry about this - I believe we only pull in a limited number of posts for the initial send. After this, we pull new posts only.

As mentioned in the other thread, it might be worth experimenting with  one-click content for older posts, then kick off an RSS-to-email schedule from there.

Thanks, ryan  - happy to clarify on anything here!

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
Phil Phil, 3 years ago

Hi Ryan,

Actually for Recurring Campaigns we only show the first (4) items in any preview - which we clearly mark as such on the preview page. We do do because previews of recurring campaigns run the risk of being misleading anyway, the content may change by the time the send occurs, there may be new posts, etc.

When it comes to the actual send we'll send everything new which that was published in the relevant time frame. ie for a daily posts we'll send all the new posts from the last 24 hours, for a weekly post we'll send all the new posts in the last week, etc.

This holds true for the "first" post of a Recurring Campaign, or the first post after a Pause. eg for a daily campaign we'll still only include posts published in the last 24 hours. The reason for that is simple - it's a daily campaign.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098