Email address automatically unsubscribing? Anyone experience this?

I have a client that is experiencing something weird - they include an internal distribution list address ("") in their campaigns, but every time, that email address gets unsubscribed.  Although I don't think this is a specific CM issue (probably something their email servers / spam filters are doing), has anyone had to troubleshoot something like this before?

I've already asked them to verify that all addresses in the distribution list (they say they're all active addresses). 

It appears that the address is actually "unsubscribing" not hard bouncing it's way to the suppression list.

They've reviewed this problem with everyone on the list to make sure no one's clicking on the unsubscribe link.

I asked if they could just add individual email addresses to CM, and because that list is changing a few times a month, they don't want to maintain it in two locations, so the "employees" address is what they want to use.

I'm running out of options, and it's frustrating them a lot.

Any other suggestions / questions to ask them?

Carissa Carissa, 4 years ago

Hi BraceRosso,

Unfortunately, your client is going to continue to see their distribution email address unsubscribed. Should any one of your client's employees manually forward the email to someone who later clicks the unsubscribe link, or post their subscriber-specific webversion link online where bots can click the unsubscribe link, the address will be removed from the list again. There are several other less common ways that this could happen without the employees' knowledge as well.

We would strongly recommend that you urge them to use a complete list of employee email addresses, and find ways to synchronize that with their database to avoid this frustration. Contact support if you need help.

Campaign Monitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free