Server Error in '/' Application

I sent out a test email campaign yesterday evening, all seemed fine but when i have checked this morning the none of the links are working... i get a asp error page -

Server Error in '/' Application.

Illegal characters in path.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path...........

Is the server down or do the links only work for like 12hours?! that is no good if thats the case?! anybody got any solutions?!!

Ben Ben, 8 years ago

Hey Josh, I just checked the campaign you sent and the problem is way you've coded your links - you need to properly form your href tags for this to work, or you will bump into the problems you're seeing. If you are still having problems, pop an email to support at with the HTML your using and point out the exact line where the problem is.

And just to clarify, these links wouldn't have ever worked - possibly you clicked on a link that was properly formed last time when it seemed to work. In terms of timeframes, our links work forever.

Good thing this was just a test campaign to 3 recipients.

runtime, 5 years ago

I just received a similar error after inserting the following styles into my template:

h2,h2 a,h2 a:visited {color:#ffffff !important}
h3,h3 a,h3 a:visited {color:#F2BE28 !important}

My error message was as follows:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<customErrors mode="Off"/>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>

Having said all that, I just hit refresh after another 10 minutes and the site is back up and running again...

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 5 years ago

Hi runtime, we had a short period of unexpected downtime earlier today, which caused the error above. It had nothing to do with your CSS, just us having a hiccup.

We're really sorry this interrupted your workday - thankfully, our site should be working as per normal now.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free