Sending autoresponder to segment or non-date-based field?

I'd like to create an autoresponder that goes out automatically to users who have met certain criteria. However, from what I can tell, autoresponders will only work as 'welcome' emails (sent at the time they join the list) or sent based off a date field.

I've created a segment with my specified criteria, but here's my trouble:

New users are automatically added to the segment. I only want the users to get this email once after they're added to the list, and only if they meet certain criteria. Ideally this would happen automatically, but I'm willing to do a manual weekly send. If I manually send an email to the segment once a week, how would I go about sending the email the following week without re-sending to the same folks that got the email this week?

Is there a reason why the same criteria for segments isn't available for setting up autoresponders?

Carissa Carissa, 4 years ago

Hi Justine,

Thanks for the question and for emailing support as well. In case anyone else is having similar trouble, I'll answer again here.

You are right, autoresponders are only triggered by the time they join a list or by a date-based custom field. They are not triggered once a subscriber is included within a segment. The reason we didn't add this is because we wanted to keep autoresponders simple from the start. We get a fair amount of votes for this, though, and we are keeping track of those.

We're happy to help come up with alternative ways to trigger emails, and fortunately, after understanding your situation it wasn't hard to find a workaround using another date-based custom field and the API.

Campaign Monitor
djwhisky, 4 years ago

I'm beginning to realise quite how simplistic autoresponders are - I was thinking that they could be used for clever things but now realising that they're really quite basic.

For instance, I'm wanting to send a follow up email to new customers for a client (i.e. those who have only ordered once) - but can't do it as there's no way of picking up my NumOrders custom field...

Think some serious work is needed on these and other segments to make them usable for all but the simplest of scenarios...

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hey there djwhiskey, I'm more than happy to add your vote for autoresponders based on custom fields here. It's something we've certainly considered, so I'll keep you posted if it's something we add at a later date.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
mpodboreski, 4 years ago

Just a thought. I vote for RSS autoresponders based on segments as well.

My thought was, "Doesn't this feature already exist under campaigns?"

I guess the trouble spot no one really touched on was paying $5+ every time an email went out.

For example I have my newsletter list based on the following subscriber options:

The daily and weekly would be RSS based and the monthly would be more of a newsletter campaign with maybe a RSS recap somewhere. The starting time would be when a new blog post was created and sent based on my users frequency choice. Which would typically be after they sign up some time. I just don't want to pay $5 every time I publish a new article for maybe a few subscribers.

I think this is what most people are leaning towards when requesting this feature. It's already there. Just in the wrong place.

Let me know if this makes sense and sorry it is kind of long. Overall the product is what I have been looking for as a white label.

Hey there mpodboreski, thank you so much for your feedback here. Your best bet based on your send frequency is to switch to monthly pricing, which means that you'll be paying a flat fee, usually regardless of how many autoresponders go out. You can find out more about our plans here.

Happy to add your votes though for autoresponders based on segments, plus a way for subscribers to set the frequency at which they receive emails - both are good calls and we'll be sure to keep you posted if we work on either. If you have any other feedback you would like to add, long or short, be sure to send it in anytime :)

We're also on Facebook:
djwhisky, 4 years ago

Bump! :)
Just had another client request this feature and going to have to do some crazy workaround I think in order to satisfy their requests (having multiple lists that a customer joins when they hit a specific order count)... would be so much easier just being able to autorespond on a segment... :(

Consider this request bumped - hopefully i'll have some good news for you soon here, dj! :D

We're also on Facebook:
djwhisky, 4 years ago

OOhh exciting :)

anthodges anthodges, 3 years ago

Hey guys = this thread is the kind of conversation I was looking for.

I can create segments based on clicks or opens of an email, even clicks of a certain link in an email.

I would like to trigger autoresponders based on activity from a mailing. EG If I send a campaign I would like to trigger an autoresponder to those that do not click and a different on to those that click a particular link.

What are the thoughts around the autoresponder trigger based on activity? This thread is a few months old, but I would be interested to hear any further thoughts.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi anthodges, this may be an old thread, but not a forgotten one. Autoresponders based on segments would certainly pave the way for more behavioural-style campaigns, like you've described. It isn't entirely out of the question either, as we're keen to see what more we can do with segments in the year ahead.

I'll certainly keep this thread updates as more information comes to light. By all means, let us know if there's anything else you're after from behavioural or segment-based campaigns, as I have no doubt that it will really help us flesh out a future update.

We're also on Facebook:
Stephen, 2 years ago

Just updating this thread to let you know that autoresponders to segments is now live!

Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback, and we'd love to hear how the new feature works for you! :)

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free