Is it possible to edit custom field through API?

I would like to be able to edit the field name for custom fields on the fly but I can't seem to find an update_custom_field  (or similar)  function in the API docs. I can add new custom fields and delete existing ones but how about editing existing ones?

If anyone could shed some light on how to do this I would be most grateful.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

HI Chris, welcome to the forums! At present, you can only create and delete custom fields, I'm sorry to say. This means that if you want to rename one, you'll have to create a new field with the correct name, copy over the data, then delete the old one. Happy to add your vote to be able to update custom field names internally - it's certainly one for us to look into sometime!

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
magicinfluence, 4 years ago

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It would be nice to be able to do this rather than have to go to the overhead of adding new ones, copying over data and then deleting the old one (especially as it is just the name, not the data type etc I need to change). Apart from this one small thing, I have to say it's a great API though, absolute pleasure to work with.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Thank you so much, Chris! We'll keep you posted if this is something we update - really appreciate the feedback from you here :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
jamesd jamesd, 3 years ago

Hey Chris,

Just letting you know that we've recently added the ability to update a custom field, including updating the name and preference center visibility. We deliberately don't allow custom field data types to be updated.

All details in the API docs.

Also you can catch our API Updates for November 2012 announcement over at our API Announcements forum topic.

Hope that helps.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free