mailto: in hotmail being ignored??

hi, I have an email link in a HTML email mailto. For some reason the email is being ignored. Is there a special hack or does hotmail strictly forbid this code in HTML emails..

JD JD, 4 years ago

Unfortunately, the mailto: tag is a bit unreliable when the recipient doesn't have an email account configured with their default email client; ie: someone receiving the email at a Hotmail/Yahoo! account who hasn't set it up through Outlook or other email client won't be able to open a email client window and email you through that link. I first tested this with your campaign code in my personal account while sending it to my hotmail address. I was able to see the mailto: as a link in Hotmail, however, clicking the link to email did not work. I did not have my hotmail account setup on my personal machine with a default email client, so one did not open.

You might try sending a link to a contact form on your website within the campaign, so that recipients can click that and fill out a form their browser. This would still allow you to track those who clicked the link from within the campaign and give the ability to have recipients contact you that way. I hope that helps and please let me know if we can assist further. Thanks!

Campaign Monitor Support

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free