Email Statistics; are they fooled by Outlooks Preview?

Hi there,

First post so please be gentle.

The stats that CM provide are fantastic, as we all know, but are they fooled by people who only read your emails in Outlooks preview panel? By doing this the client doesn't have to send back a read receipt and thus, looks like the email was never read to the sender and therefore giving a fasle stat back to CM as it looks unread.

Cheers for any help and advice.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi Sedcokreep, welcome to the forums! Actually, we don't track email opens by read receipts, but instead, by an invisible, 1px tracking pixel that's added to the HTML email. When images are downloaded by any email client, so is the tracking pixel, which lets us know that the email has been opened.

The thing that throws out our stats using this method is that images are turned off by default in some email clients, which can result in underrepresentation in email client popularity reports. As with all email marketing statistics, open rates are approximate - I hope this helps!

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Sedcokreep, 4 years ago

Hi there, sorry for the late reply. :)

Brilliant answer though and I'm confident of sending it on to my my client. Thank you :)

JamBusinessMedia, 4 years ago

Thank you for a good response, just a quick question, does this mean that if we send out an email and it get's received as a text version does this not get tracked?

Kind Regards

Shaun Swales

Facebook PPC Account Manager
Jam Business Media - Facebook PPC Advertising

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi again Shaun, that is correct for opens alone - as there's no tracking image, having the campaign appear in the email client will not result in the email being recorded as opened. However, if a subscriber clicks on the text version of an email campaign, both a click and open will be recorded. I hope this helps!

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free