Spurious China and Beverly Hills visits (Worldview gone bonkers?)

Hi, since May 6th one of our clients is seeing in his CM reports a large amount of seemingly spurious visits from himself! According to Worldview these are coming from China and Beverly Hills exclusively.

He hasn't left the UK for months, is a small biz with no corp LAN or VPNs. I think the visits are actually his but Worldview has gone bonkers on the location of his IP(s). Any ideas how I can explain this to him? I've already told him not to take Worldview locations too seriously (especially for the UK) but this is very, very odd...

Phil Phil, 4 years ago

Hi Paul,

In situations like this the most common l explanation is that your client forwarded his personal copy of the email (as opposed to using the "forward to a friend" button in an email) to some friends or colleagues, who then forwarded it to their friends/colleagues, producing a bit of a viral effect. In that situation each open and click of the forwarded copy would appear in the reports as coming from your client.

As i said, it's the most common explanation, but it might not be the only one. If that doesn't fit the bill then please contact support and we'll do our best to figure it out.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free