Issue: Email template with more 8 image requests will not work on WP7

Dear all,
I found an issue when implement email template to work on Window Phone 7.

We will test an email template with more 8 images inside (more 8 image requests).
On HOTMAIL (WP7): Everything is work well. Good news.
On GMAIL & YAHOO mail (WP7): The email template will be hide (disappear) when it has more 8 image requests.

Step 1: Open email tempalte on WP7 (GMAIL & YAHOO mail)
Step 2: Click to "download" link in email becuase on WP7, the image is not allow to display at the first time.
Step 3: When the download process is completed, the email template will be disappear (if it has more 8 image requests)

We also tested with 8 or less 8 image requests, everything is work well.

You can review my screenshot at:

Finally, could you help me to review and post this issue on your blog, please? (Help me to public this issue)

Please send me email if you can help me and give me the link when this issue is published.

Thank you very much.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi there Cuong, thanks for writing in with this detailed description here. Unfortunately I don't have a Windows 7 phone at present to confirm this behavior on, but I suspect the issue here isn't so much the number of images in the email, as it is the email size.

In your screenshot, the file size is reported as being 312kb. That's actually pretty large for a newsletter. In comparison, our monthly newsletter is ~40kb.

We had a very similar issue with Gmail last year, which we documented in our blog. The skinny is:

‘If your email exceeds 102K, Gmail will display the first 102K and then it will clip off the remainder with a few different variations depending on the device.’

Listed are the consequences for exceeding this limit in Gmail, the worst case being:“(after reaching 102k) the mobile version of Gmail for the iPad does not appear to offer any links for viewing the entire message, instead the email is simply cut off.”

If you have the time, could you perhaps see if this behaviour still occurs if the email is less than 102k in size?

Thanks, Cuong! Even if this isn't something we publish in our blog, it's certainly a great resource for us to point folks to, should they have the same issue. We really appreciate you taking the time to write in with this interesting observation :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
SkyEverything SkyEverything, 4 years ago

Hi Roshodgekiss,

Thank you for your post.
As your request, i just did the second test with your assumptions.
The email just has 47kb and 9 image requests.

The bad news is the issue is still happening.
Please review my scrrenshot below:

My summary:
On WP7, when you open email template by Gmail or Yahoo!Mail, the email's content will be disappear if it has more 8 image requests.

Can you verify this issue again?
Anyone can help us to solve this issue?

Thank you.

Cuong VU

Hi there Cuong, thank you so much for these extra details, plus your email - it's much appreciated! We'll do our best to replicate this on our end. Note that as this is a behaviour that's specific to this email client, there may not be a workaround (ie. it's a bug in the email client). We'll be sure to update this thread if we get any more info on this issue.

We're also on Facebook:

Just to follow up, this issue was reported to have occurred when pasting HTML code into Thunderbird's email composer and sending from there. We haven't been able to replicate this issue when sending via Campaign Monitor.

We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free