Getting a list of lists, and query re creating custom fields

Hi - these might be dumb questions, if so I apologise! I haven't found anything in the forums or docs though.

I have a client who has signed up to CM, and I am integrating it with their CRM/accounting/marketing software. They want to be able to see what lists each contact has subscribed to, add contacts to lists while telemarketing, see unsubscribes, bounces, that sort ot thing.

The basics are working quite well, but I have two questions.

Firstly, is there any way to download a list of lists. At the moment I have a table in their in-house system which contains the list name and CM list ID. The problem is this has to be maintained manually - and I can see them having a bit of trouble with it! What I'd ideally like to do is get details of all lists, not just a single one. Kind-of like using lists/{listid}.xml but without passing a list ID and getting everything (which I've tried and it doesn't work!).

Secondly, I am automatically creating a custom field to pass an ID for each subscriber on the list. The code to check the field is there and create it if not is working nicely, but the field is created with "This field should be visible to recipients..." turned on. Is there a way to force this not to be avaialble? I don't really want subscribers to be able to mess around with this, and although it could be changed manually I'd rather automate it so it doesn't get forgotten!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Andrew

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hey there Andrew, happy to help you out here.

Firstly, is there any way to download a list of lists. At the moment I have a table in their in-house system which contains the list name and CM list ID.

To get a list of all lists per client, you can use the lists method. All you need to pass is the client ID.

Secondly, I am automatically creating a custom field to pass an ID for each subscriber on the list. The code to check the field is there and create it if not is working nicely, but the field is created with "This field should be visible to recipients..." turned on.

Visibility of custom fields is something you can only change in the app for now, I'm sorry to say. However, once you've created a custom field in a subscriber list, you should only have to set it as not visible once. I assume in this instance, the issue is that you're deleting the custom field instead of simply updating the value each time - is it possible for you to update each subscribers' custom field values instead?

Thanks Andrew - I'll certainly add your vote to set custom field visibility via the API and keep you posted on this one. If you have any questions about the above, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
arjoll, 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply Rosanne, and hello from across the Tasman!

roshodgekiss :

To get a list of all lists per client, you can use the lists method. All you need to pass is the client ID.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

roshodgekiss :

However, once you've created a custom field in a subscriber list, you should only have to set it as not visible once. I assume in this instance, the issue is that you're deleting the custom field instead of simply updating the value each time

Nope, I am creating the custom field if it doesn't exist, then updating it - no deleting/re-creating, that's messy! The scenario I was thinking of was when my client decides to create a new list, then I create the custom field automatically, and then they don't change the visibility it in the UI. I'll show them what to do, but I can see it being forgotten.

Thanks
Andrew

jamesd jamesd, 3 years ago

Hey there,

Just a quick note to let you know that we've recently added the VisibleInPreferenceCenter field to custom fields.

We've also implemented the ability to set the preference center visibility when creating or updating a custom field.

A summary of all today's API updates is available over at our API Announcements forum topic.

Hope that helps.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098