Billing tiers & subscribers

Hi,

please apologize, i am sure similar question was asked before.
From the FAQ's i understand that monthly services are charged according to active subscribers lists. Correct?
Say that client has10.000 subscribers on board and he sends a month to all, but next month he needs to send only to a group of 2.000, will he (in my case, me) still be charged for 10.000 subscribers?

If yes, what would be the solution to be only charged for 2.000 subscribers usage?
He has to delete 8.000 and re-import them when he needs to send again to them?

Please do not answer that i can switch between monthly and "per campaign" plans, i know that.. but i can not request from my clients to ask me: how do we do this today?
and me to answer: just a second, i am rolling you back to "pay per campaign", or vise versa

alex611, 4 years ago

This is crazy..
i totally lost track what is going on with your charges.

Today i realized that the old "unlimited sending plans" have now limits, while if you want to switch to unlimited, you almost pay double.
For example, the old $30/ unlimited send plan is now getting "cheaper" with $29 per month. But you can only send up to 12,500 emails a month, while with the old plan you could send unlimited. Need more? Pay $59 to get unlimited

Sorry, i can not follow you guys anymore.
Best of all: since i am quite new with you, i have sent my offers to all clients based on the old calculation methods.

One of my clients signed up in faith that he will pay aprox. $30 per month, allowing him to send unlimited campaigns to aprox. 2400 subscribers.

What should i tell him now? That it's $59 if he wants to go unlimited?

As i said, i am new and i will seriously consider not to get old with you.
What you do is not fair.

Considering that i already lost one client because of  another non-professional idea of yours (https://www.campaignmonitor.com/forums/post/25540/#p25540), the decision will be probably quite easy to take.

Why don't you announce significant changes to your partners, so we have time to prepare our new price lists, update and inform our clients as well?

Real unprofessional way to deal with partnerships.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi there Alex, thank you so much for your questions and feedback here. I'll do my best to respond.

From the FAQ's i understand that monthly services are charged according to active subscribers lists. Correct?
Say that client has10.000 subscribers on board and he sends a month to all, but next month he needs to send only to a group of 2.000, will he (in my case, me) still be charged for 10.000 subscribers?

Yes, that is correct on both counts when a client is on a monthly plan. As you mention, we've provided the option to switch to PAYG, however deleting subscribers would also work (however, it's likely inconvenient from a list management perspective).

Why don't you announce significant changes to your partners, so we have time to prepare our new price lists, update and inform our clients as well?

We totally agree - this transition could have been communicated in advance to our rebranders and we have certainly learnt from the last week's experiences. Not wanting to leave designers like yourself in the lurch, we have been working with many of our customers on a case by case basis and recommending the best course of action based on existing clients' usage. By all means if you think we can help you better communicate these changes to your clients, please get in touch with our team and we'll do our best to assist.

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
alex611, 4 years ago

What is the business sense to charge for 50.000 subscribers on hub if my clients utilize only (say) 1.000 subscriber emails for a certain month?

Can you please help me to follow?

You actually telling me to move 500 of my clients to Campaignmonitor, and monitor 500 accounts, having to switch between PAYG & monthly charge, anytime a client of mine needs to send a campaign, i order to save him unnecessary cost?
(Because otherwise he will leave at once.. for sure)

Is this your best available option?

And you did not confirm that (as in example above), a client who was on a "old" $30 unlimited send plan, now has to pay $59 for the unlimited plan?
Is this correct?

Hi again Alex, the skinny is that the monthly plans are commonly the best option if a client is regularly sending, either to the whole list, or to segments thereof. For less frequent senders, PAYG is often the way to go. We've provided both these options to suit both send frequencies.

If your clients don't usually utilize their whole lists, or have irregular send frequencies, I'd personally recommend that you look into purchasing email credits in bulk, then allocating them to clients as is necessary. This can offer considerable savings and help you manage your costs. Generally, I would encourage you to choose either monthly or PAYG based on a client's average sending behaviour, not whether they're going to get a cheaper rate through a monthly plan one month, then PAYG the next.

And you did not confirm that (as in example above), a client who was on a "old" $30 unlimited send plan, now has to pay $59 for the unlimited plan?
Is this correct?

I'm sorry for not making this clear. As per this post, we have automatically grandfathered all our current customers who have historically sent lots of emails each month. They will continue to have no send limit, yet pay the new 'basic' price for that tier ($29, in this case).

Clients on monthly plans that haven't been grandfathered are on the basic plan for their tier. They can be switched at will to the unlimited plan if it is likely they will send in excess of the email send limit (or run a lot of design and spam tests).

Based on your previous responses, it sounds like your clients don't send frequently, or send in small batches. In these cases, our basic plans are likely sufficient, as are our PAYG plans. However, if you feel that this will affect your clients in any way, be sure to get in touch - we do want to help.

alex611, 4 years ago

Yes, of course. Long story short: You raised your prices.

I made arrangements with my clients according to your old price list.
And you are actually telling me that i just have to pay the difference from my pocket.
I am sorry that i was not earlier with you to get my services also grandfathered.

I made an arrangement that my clients can send $30 unlimited (example)
Taking my example above, and what you recommend) if client sends 6 x 1000 emails, PAYG will be $15x6 , an unlimited will be $59

Whatever i do.. i am paying +$30 from my pocket to serve my customers, who already received my prices according to you list.

2 options i have:
a) I announce (which obviously i have to) new pricing tiers and get no client
b) i keep my promise and pay to to serve my clients

You tell this business sense?

I like your interface, love the way to manage clients and few other stuff.. but the rest of your business sense kills me.

alex611, 4 years ago

In regard to your old pricing options (send unlimited emails), which i used to send my offer to 500+ clients, what would you recommend for a specific client of mine who provided following send statistics, sending 6-7 times a month for each subscriber list?

Dec 2011 - 21794 subscribers
Jan 2012 - 3311 subscribers,
Feb 2012 - 13048 subscribers,
March 2012 - 13960 subscribers,
April 2012 - 6224 subscribers
May 2012 - 10270 subscribers
June 2012 - 6798 subscribers
July 2012 - 1648 subscribers
August 2012 - 3252 subscribers

It is obvious that PAYG makes no sense, as they will pay 3-4 times higher from what i am offering them (your old plans).

Even when choosing monthly basic, it does not fit the available send limit, while unlimited plans are at least 2 times more expensive from what i offered them.

So, how can i be reliable to my clients without need to pay the difference from my pocket?

Of course i do not need to mention that the first comparison they make is: against MailChimp plans

Alex, I was frankly trying to be helpful, based on the limited information on hand. I'm just as keen to get satisfaction as you are here, so lets work together on this one.

Based on your example, if this client was previously on our $30 plan, they should have been grandfathered in for sending in excess of the new $29 plan's send limit. This means that they will continue to have no send limit, while they remain on the $29 plan. If your client hasn't been grandfathered in, kindly contact our team with details and we'll investigate promptly.

If this example is indicative of how new clients will send, they will save money for the majority of the time under the new pricing and can temporarily get bumped up for the odd months (like Feb/Mar).

If you have any questions about our grandfathering, be sure to let us know. As I mentioned in our earlier thread, we're investigating our options when it comes to assisting designers. Should we have any news, i'll be sure to pass it on.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098