Gmail indenting last bullet item

Howdy,

I'm wondering if others experience this weird behavior in gmail. For our business, we center in on Outlook, of course we check for all clients but lately I have noticed that Outlook doesn't like padding. So I have decided to use margins on the li's to give them a little space between bottom and top. Looks great in all Outlook versions but now Gmail is producing a weird behavior by indenting that last item in the bulleted list.

The td holding this ul does have padding applied to it at (padding:15px 20px 15px 15px;)

------------------------------

<ul>
        <li style="margin:10px 0 10px 0;">Copy</li>

<li style="margin:10px 0 10px 0;">Copy</li>

<li>Copy</li>
</ul>

Produces this in Gmail:

• Copy
• Copy
    •  Copy

In firebug I've pinpointed that there is a class applied to the li by gmail.

.gs li {
    margin-left:15px;
}

I'm just trying to find a fix. I'm thinking that I should explicitly apply a style to the li of margin-left:0px; or to the td

Anyone else experience this? thanks! Lance

lnickel, 4 years ago

Ok everyone a little work around for gmail, outlook on this. I explicitly set the margin and padding bottom and let the clients styles control top, right, and left.

You will have a backup for Outlook when it zero's out that padding. Of course, it will show both margin and padding in other clients but that should be ok - just adjust accordingly.

-----------------------------

<ul>
        <li style="margin-bottom:5px; padding-bottom:5px;">Copy</li>

<li style="margin-bottom:5px; padding-bottom:5px;">Copy</li>

<li>Copy</li>
</ul>

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hey Lance, thank you for the follow-up! I'm sure this is going to come in handy for others in this jam. :D

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098