Suggestion: Replace the <p> tags with <br />'s in the Editor?

Your email editor is really cool and (besides Australian patriotism) was the main reason I chose CM over other ESP's. After playing with it though, I noticed the wysiwyg inserts <p> tags, which isn't really helpful for single line breaks.

I think most email designers would agree that <br /> tags are the way to go.

Also on a semi-related note, it would be good to be able to add style to hyperlink href tags (color and text-decoration: none; etc).

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hi JohnP, thank you so much for giving us a go! Sorry about the trouble here - we're using <p> tags for the most part to assist with styling text (eg. so p { color: #cccccc; ...} in your stylesheet works as predicted) and of course, to add breaks. But as you mention, this can create formatting issues, too.

If you don't mind editing the code in your template, we generally recommend applying a 'reset', like p { margin: 0; padding: 0; }. You can then adjust paragraph spacing to taste.

We'll certainly see what can be done about the p tags, however they tend to be fairly helpful from a styling point of view.

As for the link colors, we're happy to look into adding these styling options to the email editor. In the interim, your best bet is to again, edit the code: a, a:visited { color: #cccccc; text-decoration: none; }

Thanks again for using our service, John! If there's anything else we can assist with, be sure to let us know.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
JohnP JohnP, 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply Ros,

I think <font> tags would be better because they don't force the text into a paragraph. Also, doing a reset won't work in Gmail as it strips out the <style> tags. The a:visited styling you suggested should be inline for Gmail too.

Here is an example of how I'd like to see the output:

<font style="font-family: Century Gothic, Avant Garde, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; color: #454545;">
Here is a paragraph
<a href="" style="color: #000001; text-decoration: none; font-weight: bold;">Here is a hyperlink</a>
Another paragraph<br>
with single<br>
spaced lines...

Overall I think <font> + <br> (or <br />) tags make a more flexible and consistent option. (<font> could also replace <span> tags as well to simplify things)

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hey there JohnP, I may have mentioned in an earlier thread that CS styles in the <style> tags are automatically inlined at send time, thus why I generally suggest using stylesheets in the <head>. With inlining in mind, you don't have to write as much code :)

We'll certainly keep this in mind for a future update, although the output may be a little different, given that the link styles can be placed in <head>, for instance. But great feedback here - thank you!

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
JohnP JohnP, 4 years ago

Thanks Ros, I guess it is a different mindset working in <style> tags then using the inliner to convert it. In my day job we use a different ESP to CM, so I always work inline. I could use something like Premailer, but I'd rather work on and debug the final code locally than have something that has to be converted at send (also avoiding the extra step when not using CM).

I'm always cutting and pasting the (although somewhat longer) code snippets, so I actually think it might be quicker than setting up all the CSS in the head then writing class tags for everything.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free