Paragraph indent and Drop cap style?

Is it possible to restrict my client from making space after text in a paragraph and force a paragraph indent instead

Also the lead in article needs to start with a drop cap. Is this possible so it forces the first article to use this style?

Im using Campaign tags for my client to add content

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 4 years ago

Hey there Rob, great question! The answer is yes, this can be done, however you will need to use CSS selectors in your stylesheet in order to make this happen.

While selectors will work fine in our email editor, they're not universally supported across all email clients. Thankfully, as this is really an aesthetic change, it should degrade gracefully in clients like Outlook 2007+.

Paragraph indents
Your best bet is this technique. In short, you would add something like the following to your stylesheet:

p {
  margin-bottom: 0 }
p + p {
  text-indent: 1.5em;
  margin-top: 0 }

Drop caps
Also, there's a pretty straightforward technique for adding drop caps:

p:first-child:first-letter { float: left; color: #903; font-size: 75px; line-height: 60px; padding-top: 4px; padding-right: 8px; padding-left: 3px; font-family: Georgia; }

Note that you may come across issues with the float above, so test test test!

Thanks, Rob! I hope you've found this to be helpful. It may be something for us to cover in our resources with more detail at a later date :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
lister, 4 years ago

hey thanks for this.. I'll do some test across Outlook etc..

lister, 3 years ago

This is great, but If my client edits the copy in the template editor a break is added. Somehow I need the paragraph to end a new paragraph to start with the indent..

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hey there lister, could you kindly post a screenshot of what you're seeing here? We may be able to suggest some alternative code :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free