Outlook not showing columns properly.

Hi - Here's my problem. I have a two column layout which works fine everywhere except for Outlook (actually, works in Outlook XP!). Basically, instead of sitting side by side the columns stack underneath each-other:

This is how it should be:
http://www.versus.uk.com/forum/Two-Columns.png

But in Outlook (except XP) you get:
http://www.versus.uk.com/forum/One-Column.png

My markup is:

<table class="table" width="600" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td class="table-cell" width="600">  
<table class="section" width="300" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
(CONTENT)
</table>
<table class="section" width="300" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
(CONTENT)
</table>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

Anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

.. also, I have media queries for mobile. Would this cause conflict?

ericmevans, 3 years ago

You may want to try align="left" on the inner two tables.  This works just like float left but actually works in Outlook.

Since you have media queries for mobile you shouldn't need to worry about aligning them for mobile as they will slide underneath each other when the outer table shrinks.

Let me know if this helps!

dedra dedra, 3 years ago

Maybe better way is put these two tables into two separate columns with width 300.

Redferret, 3 years ago

Eric is right but also important is adding table td{border-collapse:collapse;} to the css, or outlook will add a pixel border preventing them front sitting right and left.

Gmail app apologist
ericmevans, 3 years ago
Redferret :

Eric is right but also important is adding table td{border-collapse:collapse;} to the css, or outlook will add a pixel border preventing them front sitting right and left.

Yes, definitely add {border-collapse:collapse;} to the tables.

versus, 3 years ago

Ericmevans, and Redferret, Thank you. Align and collapse did the trick. Thanks again for your help.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098