Reset custom fields for all subscribers

Hi,

We have around 15000 subscribers and send out a monthly statement. This statement includes a custom field called Monthly Points.

This custom field should reset to 0 at the end of each month so I'm looking at the best way to do that. The 2 options I found so far are:

OPTION 1: use the API subscriber import function to update the custom field of all subscribers. This requires multiple API calls and requires a lot of server resources for so many subscribers.

OPTION 2: use the API to delete the custom field and re-create the same custom field. With the test I've done so far it looks like that when a custom field is deleted, all related values for each subscriber are also deleted. So when you re-create the same custom field again, all values are reset to nothing. For all users that won't have any points at the end of the month, I use fallback=0 in the email to display 0.

I prefer OPTION 2 as it requires only 2 quick API calls.

What do you think about OPTION 2. Do you see any issue with deleting/re-creating a custom field every month?

Thanks.

jamesd jamesd, 2 years ago

Your suggested solution sounds good. That's how I'd do it.

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098