Why are markup prices in EUR relative to USD?

When I add a client via the API and setup billing, I want to set markup prices in Euro's, just  like I can in the CM interface. However it seems that markups set in the API are relative to US dollars (at least when I use the PHP wrapper).

For example, when I would like to set a delivery fee of € 20,-, I'll have to take the current rate exchange with the USD currency into account, which means, the markup is set as following:

'Currency' => 'EUR',
'MarkupOnDelivery' => 16.4

So far so good. However, if the rate exchange changes, I'll have to be able to adapt to this immediately in order to offer my clients the same fee of € 20,-.

My question:
- Why can't I to set the fee in EU?
- Could I receive used exchange rates via the API?

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi there sowmedia, we're using a fixed exchange rate in order to keep our billing simple for everyone. This means that even if the exchange rate changes between USD and EUR, it will still remain pegged at our internal rates.

Here are the currencies we support for client accounts, as well as the fixed exchange rates.

In theory, using...

'Currency' => 'EUR',
'MarkupOnDelivery' => 20

... should do the trick, but I'll get a second opinion from our team shortly in regards to why you're needing to adjust this.

In our experience, most designers don't fiddle with their pricing to reflect changes between the value of the USD or EUR - thankfully, this has remained within a stable 10c range in recent times. However, if we do find that the value of any of our supported currencies shifts significantly, we'll be sure to revise our rates to suit.

Thanks, sowmedia!

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor
terryt terryt, 3 years ago

Hi sowmeda!

What you are actually seeing isn't the price relative to USD.  What we do is store the "Markup" and not what the client will actually pay.  So, the base rate we charge for delivery is €3,60.  In order for your client to be charged €20 you need to markup the price by €16,40 so that our rate + your markup = €20.

Hopefully that all makes sense, but please let me know if you have any further questions!

Terry Tice

Terry Tice
Campaign Monitor
sowmedia, 3 years ago

Hi Terry,

Thanks a lot, that makes it a bit more clear now. However, while testing the API in de past two months (I think) I had to change the markup at least once to correct it back from € 19,60 to € 20,00. That's why I thought it was related to the USD rate exchange. Or could there be another reason why that could 've happened?

terryt terryt, 3 years ago

Hi sowmedia!

Would you be able to contact support@campaignmonitor.com?  I do see a few things in your account that would explain the difference and would like to discuss them with you in more detail.

Terry Tice

Terry Tice
Campaign Monitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free