To double opt-in or not, that is question...

I've been a big fan of double opt-in lists for a while and now I'm getting push back on the concept, especially from outside vendors I want to integrate with that don't support double opt-in.  What is the conventional wisdom here, is double opt-in still the best practice when it comes to obtaining permission for sending?

The argument is that it puts a barrier to signing up for my list, which I can understand. Thoughts?

Mathew Mathew, 8 years ago

Double opt-in is definitely still the best option as far as being able to show someone asked to join your list, and confirming that it came from their address.

Personally though as a subscriber I prefer just being added without the hassle of waiting for that extra email, and we do see a reasonable number of people who sign up but never complete the double opt-in.

So it probably comes down to the list and client, and depending on what risks are involved, and how likely the list is to be abused, you'll need to make that choice.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free