Double breaks a no-go?

Hi all,

I am wondering, is the usage of double breaks to create "paragraphs" a no-go? Using h1 and p tags looks cleaner, but this also causes problems with some mail clients like some of the Outlook versions (due to lack of margin/padding support). When using double breaks I'm not experiencing any trouble at all in my mailings and the height is adjustable by defining the line-height and font size. So is there anyone who knows a better way to avoid double breaks AND the problems with mail clients when using h1 and p tags? Looking forward to a solution!

Redferret, 3 years ago

HI MvdLanden!

It's certainly not a no-go, though as a matter of good practice i don't do it (anymore) just in case i need to adjust the spacing individually.

The best bet right now is to use a td, and use padding-bottom to set the spacing, it may soubd a little long winded, especially if like me you create a new table with a single cell for each paragraph but it's times like these that code expansion tools like Emmet are invaluable.

Hope that helps!

Gmail app apologist
MvdLanden MvdLanden, 3 years ago

Hi Redferret,

I have been using that technique a few times aswell. It works fine, it's just a little long winded indeed. I guess I will start using it more often, because the double break feels like a thorn in my side. Thanks!

JohnP JohnP, 3 years ago

Breaks are the most consistent solution. Padding the cells also works, but doesn't help between paragraphs. I'd suggest the double breaks other any other method between paragraphs.

jeremypeter, 3 years ago

I'll set padding top and bottom on the <td> for my paragraphs and give them a class="p".

I've created a custom tab triggered snippet in my editor which eases the process of having to type <tr><td class="p">content here</td></tr> over and over.

All I type is tp + tab and I get the following:

<tr>
  <td class="p"> </td>
</tr>
<!-- end paragraph -->
Redferret, 3 years ago
jeremypeter :

I'll set padding top and bottom on the <td> for my paragraphs and give them a class="p".

I've created a custom tab triggered snippet in my editor which eases the process of having to type <tr><td class="p">content here</td></tr> over and over.

All I type is tp + tab and I get the following:

<tr>
  <td class="p"> </td>
</tr>
<!-- end paragraph -->

code expansion really is invaluable when it comes to these long winded solutions, ofcourse the result isn't always as neat as a simple <p>

Gmail app apologist
jimmenycricket jimmenycricket, 3 years ago

<br><br> is a pretty robust way to space out paragraphs.

The other option is to use defined height and width spacer tables, using these 2 methods you will encounter very little issues. Although outlook is now proving troublesome with spacer tables, but there is a fix if you encounter this

Get in touch for any freelance work!

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098