Email OK on everything apart from gmail

Hi Guys,

I'm absolute stumped with this one!

I've created an email that renders perfectly across all the big players.

Unfortunately there is one esp/browser/phone combination that isn't working

The email breaks when opened in gmail, through safari on an iphone 4!

The images on the right hand side of the email move by around 20px in different directions, creating a zig zag effect.

My coding is pretty solid, the td widths all add up, the images have all the correct widths/styles. The doctype/header/style all have the regular fixes applied.

I've never seen anything like it before and its only when viewed in this combination!

Unfortunately I cannot provide screenshots or code...but I would love any suggestions or ideas for possible fixes. If any one fancies creating a shell to test then the layout would be as follows:

header image
left image - Text content - right image
Footer image

Cheers in advance!

JohnP JohnP, 3 years ago

Do you have display:block; applied inline on the images?
How about floats and aligns?
Are the images in their own table cells?

jimmenycricket jimmenycricket, 3 years ago

Hey John,

Thanks for your reply.

Yea all the usual suspects are in place. style="display:block;" on all images, no divs so no floats.

Images are all in their own cells with widths applied. No colspans, all widths are spot on. I'm honestly stumped, the code is pretty much flawless, it renders perfect on everything apart from lotus notes and this combination, gmail opened in safari on an iphone 4! its driving me mad

Get in touch for any freelance work!
roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi there, jimmenycricket - another thing to keep in mind is that Gmail on all platforms doesn't support responsive techniques. If you're using a media query to adapt your layout, this could be part of the issue.

If you would like our team to quietly take a look, you're always welcome to get in touch. Hopefully you find a fix!

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free