Permission/Unsubscribe requirements for businesses emailing clients

1. Our existing client is switching from paper newsletters to E-Newsletters. They are a small Bank (not a retailer) sending out correspondence to their members. They've never sent out emails to any of their members before and have collected their emails when they opened a bank account.

What are the laws for permission with Businesses like a Bank on sending emails to their members? Do businesses like a Bank need to use the double opt-in method?

2. What about collecting emails for a contest? It is my understanding that a business can only use these emails for the contest only and not merge them with their master mailing list.

3. Do Business such as a Banking Institution or a Firm require an unsubscribe link when they are informing their clients with news releases or information about their business?

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi there LadyD-signer, we're happy to help you out here :)

What are the laws for permission with Businesses like a Bank on sending emails to their members? Do businesses like a Bank need to use the double opt-in method?

Not necessarily - single opt-in is fine, however there are advantages and disadvantages to each method. The same email marketing rules and best practices apply to banks, as any other business. Keep in mind that banks tend to have very specific privacy policies, that dictate how personal details are stored and used.

2. What about collecting emails for a contest? It is my understanding that a business can only use these emails for the contest only and not merge them with their master mailing list.

This is correct. If you would like to collect email addresses via a contest, a separate "I would like to sign up for x company's email newsletters" checkbox must be used.

3. Do Business such as a Banking Institution or a Firm require an unsubscribe link when they are informing their clients with news releases or information about their business?

Yes, the CAN-SPAM Act requires that an unsubscribe link be included in all email marketing messages.

Thanks, LadyD! We have a fairly comprehensive guide to Understanding Permission, so I recommend you give that a look. Please let us know if we can clarify anything here :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/campaignmonitor
We're also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/campaignmonitor

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098