assign a "default" field to a group of existing subscribers

Hi everyone (and roshodgekiss),

I have a list of about 52 subscribers—I know, it's hard to believe that one can be as amazing as I am at garnering new subscribers. :)

So... I want to add a custom field to specify them as type x, y, or z. I used a "Multi-Options (select one)." Great. Smooth sailing so far.

But now I have the no-fun task of going in and 1) clicking each person's name 2) click edit 3) drop down list 4) select the option 5) click update.

5 x 52 = 260 clicks! I fear for my phalange's health.

Sure, I could have done it in the time it took me to search these forums and write this message, but, perhaps there is an easier way? If so, do tell, and I'll write you a story about a squirrel as a reward. Trust me. It'll be well worth it. :)

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi there, first of all, I love your username - haha! How could I not help out here. :D

Now, there is an easier way to update custom fields, but it's not entirely elegant, so here goes. You'll have to export your list, append your custom fields, then re-import/overwrite existing values. While you won't lose historical data like clicks and opens (only custom fields will be overwritten), the downside is that if your subscribers' custom fields change while you're doing this work (say, when someone uses the preference center), then these changes will be overwritten.

We have been looking at better ways to manage custom fields, so hopefully we'll see this process improved in the near future - we'll keep you updated on this! Let us know how you go :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free