Personalization in email previews

Hi there,

This is the first time I'm using personalization on an email campaign and I'm using the following:

My own email is set as a Contact with a name, but when I send a preview to myself it says "Hello Customer" instead of "Hello MyFirstName"

How can I test that this is truly working as the campaign goes out to thousands of people, so I'm a bit nervous sending it out not knowing for sure it'll perform as intended.

Also, I have one custom field which stores the Full Name. Can I use first name, or do I have to use "fullname"?

Thanks in advance!

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi there scc, just to clarify, do you see this "Send this test using a random recipient's details" prompt when sending your test? This will allow you to test your personalization by viewing details like it were a live campaign.

We already have a Full Name field, which can be used to store both first names and full names. By all means, both [firstname] and [fullname] should work equally well, but let us know if you come across any issues with this.

Thanks, scc - let us know how you go here :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
scc, 3 years ago

Thank you so much!

I didn't go far enough to test it (eg. test and define recipients) - I was still testing out the template prior to this and was hoping to be able to test that part out there. Thanks for sharing this information and I can say everything has been a success.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Great news, scc! Glad we got things working here :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free