New gmail inbox with tabs

The user has the option to browse through 4 tabs : Primary, social, Promotions and updates. … Ff7dlewJus

I am afraid most of the emailings will be relegated to promotions... What do you think ?

JohnP JohnP, 3 years ago

Personally, I heavily utilize the filters and labels to create many 'sub-inboxes' of different mail types anyway. There aren't many promo or subscription emails hitting my inbox as it is. In my case, I think it could be a good thing, making promo emails a little more accessible via a tab, instead of clicking labels to read them. The labels are a little hidden/forgotten at times.

I'm willing to bet though that the average user isn't so crafty with their filtering, so hopefully for them, the promotions tab doesn't quickly become the 'forgotten' tab. I guess time will tell if open rates will suffer.

Based on the video it looks like there might be the ability to create you own custom tabs (fingers crossed). Currently I have like 8 email addresses attached to my account, so this level of customization is a hugely convenient feature.

EDIT: Turns out they don't allow you to create your own tabs... :(

roginator, 3 years ago

We just sent a campaign and, in my personal account, it ended up under the "Promotions" category but not in the inbox at all! I didn't have any tabs enabled either.

When I did enable the tabs - it wasn't in the "Promotions" tab either. Just accessible via the promotions category at the bottom of the left-hand nav. Very worrying.

Redferret, 3 years ago

It's exciting. Provided recipients can use it correctly and dont forget about the tabs then It should provide a clean way to look at different types of email.

One concern is that the android app only notifies me about stuff delivered to my priority inbox.

Gmail app apologist
roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi folks, just adding my 2c here. Reposting from another thread, as it's pretty relevant to this conversation:

...I've also seen a few campaigns end up in the 'Promotions' tab, often regardless of content. It seems that the filtering is a hunch at present, likely based on IP/sender history. However that said, Gmail does give you the option of re-categorizing your email. Hopefully we'll see this categorization process used to 'train' Gmail to accurately categorize email from specific senders...

...Keep an eye on our blog, as we'll be sure to add our latest updates and findings there.

The bottom line - we're likely to see a lot of our campaigns end up in the 'Promotions' tab. But hopefully Gmail will become a little more clever about its categorization as time progresses.

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free