HTML5 in emails - what do you think?

So HTML5, that's good isn't it but how does it work with emails?

One thing I read the other day is that the align attribute will no longer work in the table element.  Source: W3.org

This suggests that everyone's favourite multiple columns into one trick used for responsive email wont work. However when I did a quick in browser test it seemed to work fine.

I did notice however that % in line-heigh and line-heigh lower than the font-size don't appear to be working.  In fact the line height looked pretty bloody wide to me and I couldn't do anything about it in the 2 minuets I spent on it.

Particularly interested how this works with the outlook line-heigh override

.ExternalClass * {
        line-height: 100%;
    }  

I decided to leave this until I have time for further testing just wondered if anyone else has found any issues/solutions/benefits with HTML5 emails?
Cheers,
Mark x

Redferret, 3 years ago

Hi Mr Mark, of the few email clients that support HTML5, none resistrict you to using just HTML 5.

While align on tables isn't valid HTML5 code, i've yet to see a browser or email client that enforces HTML5, after all, plenty of emails and web sites work perfectly well in HTML4 so there's no reason that browsers would drop support for these things.

Gmail app apologist
Mr-Mark, 3 years ago

Oh yeah.
Obvious when you put it like that :)
Cheers

<!--[if gte mso 9]>
    Get a  better email client
<![endif]-->

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098