Legality of images used in an Email

My client asked an interesting questions regarding legality of images from the web. My clients company have social events for employees on certain days. These events maybe showcasing a Film at a cinema or a sporting event at a particular club. On the email which is posted internally (One shot) I have used images from the events website. She was concerned regarding the legality of images. Are they ok to use?

I think it would be ok, as I'm not selling or distributing these images. Im using these images to show an event my client is arranging within their company and is also advertising the event itself. These images are in the public domain.

Whats your take on this?

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi lister, when in doubt, your best bet is to contact the owner/photographer and ask for their permission explicitly. It always helps if you can explain to them in detail how the photo is going to be displayed on your site and for what purpose.

Many owners may ask that a watermark, or some kind of photo credit be added, so that's something to keep in mind. Unless the photo is covered by a Creative Commons license, what constitutes "public domain" can be a bit fuzzy! Best of luck :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
Cheli, 3 years ago

As Ros has said, it's always best to contact the copyright owner, particularly if you don't know what licence for use the image has. Just because the image is on the event company's website does not mean it's in the public domain as far as copyright is concerned. Having said that, because this is an event the company has run with your client and the photo will be used to promote their services, its unlikely you wouldn't get permission.

If you're in Australia, this is a great reference site for copyright questions:

kadebra kadebra, 3 years ago

Even if you are using just to showcase your company event that will come under copyright infringement as your are using someone else work its better to use creative common licensed pic.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free