Sending a campaign via API while adding Subcribers

So here's the skinny:

Let's say I have a draft set up within CM; I've set the sending details, chosen a template and added some outrageously hilarious content. Shiny.

Now, I want to be able to send that draft via the API while also adding the subscribers at the same time, which is the only thing I haven't done.

Is there a way to trigger the send of a draft while adding, updating or removing subscribers? I want to be to do the first, all 3 would be great!

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Hi there Olly, great to hear from you! All these tasks are possible using our API, however, it's only possible to send to subscribers who are active in lists/segments at send time. If I'm reading things correctly, you'd like to send directly after adding, updating or removing subscribers - while sending immediately after adding a subscriber is a-ok (and is likely a task best suited to autoresponders, not our API), after updating is a little more work - you will need to update the subscriber first, then create/add them to a list or segment, then create the campaign from template, then send. Note there are limits to sending one-off campaigns like this.

As for removing subscribers, this is a bit greyer - if you are deleting the subscriber, then they will no longer be active and you won't be able to send to them. So in this case, you will have to send the campaign in a similar fashion to the "updating" scenario, then delete them afterwards. Just be careful with this - if a subscriber believes they have been unsubscribed  and then receive a campaign, then it's sure to cause all sorts of chaos.

Thanks, Olly! At a later date we may consider sending autoresponders based on segments (which would make these tasks a sure sight easier), so we'll let you know if this happens. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the above :)

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
OllyPercival OllyPercival, 3 years ago

Thanks for your reply Ros.

The Subscribers to whom I want to send would already be in the account, just not added to the campaign. It sounds like, if I already have the draft campaign set up, I can't just define which Subscribers to send to via API. I would need to create the whole thing via the API in order to achieve this.

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 3 years ago

Olly, that's right - subscribers have to be in a given list or segment to be sent a campaign. We're admittedly not that good at handling transactional campaigns, so you might want to explore services like Postmark, which indeed, allow you to send to individual email addresses via their API.

Let us know what you settle with - for one, I don't want you hacking away like crazy over this one!

We're also on Facebook:
roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 1 year ago

Hi Olly, you might find this interesting - Campaign Monitor has launched a transactional email service, so you can now take control of one-off, system-generated emails, use our email builder and view reports, all within your existing Campaign Monitor account.

If you are on one of our monthly plans, the fantastic news is that transactional emails come bundled in - so you can start sending, without spending an extra cent.

To start learning how you can use transactional and get inspiration for your own triggered email messaging, check out our new guide and our new API docs on transactional email. Thank you so much for all your feedback and support!

We're also on Facebook:

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free