Native Android Email client does not respect device-width

Has anybody encountered problems using max-device-width: 480px on the native Android Email client? I have a Nexus 4 with android 4.3 and the media query does not trigger unless I use max-device-width: 768px. I _cannot_ use that large number because then the media query will trigger on tablets and such.

I ran some more tests to see what the Android Web Browser reports:
Since the native Android Email client uses Android Web Browser (not Chrome) I tested using the web browser named Dolphin. I went to which reports 768px as device width!? Using the same website on latest Chrome web browser it reports 384px, which is correct.

Does this mean that all native Android Email clients will not receive mobile newsletters (when using max-device-width:480px) unless you have an older phone?

Redferret, 3 years ago

Hi there, I'm also on a Nexus 4 running 4.3, the issue is that the native email client uses the android browser rendering engine which seems to see device-width as the actual amount of pixels on screen whereas chrome and others use the density independent pixels (in this case 384px).

I recommend using max-width rather than max-device-width. then your 480px query will work fine. do be sure to test in yahoo though!

Gmail app apologist
stianpr, 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply! This is interesting. I haven't tested using only max-width before, but this will make the newsletter render the mobile version on desktops too (viewport-w less than 480px), which is fine. But shouldn't Campaign Monitor address this issue, as they are clearly suggesting using max-device-width:480px in their blog posts? Everybody that are using the native email client on Android (which is alot of people) will not receive a mobile version of the newsletter because of this bug...

Redferret, 3 years ago

I guess this is pretty new info, i had to do some testing to find this out. Breakpoints in email are a pain but it's not likely any email clients will show the mobile version, possibly Yahoo but theres a fix for that (although sources suggest it's been fixed)

Gmail app apologist
Cheli, 3 years ago

On an aside, I've noticed that Zimbra shows the mobile version of emails (although recently it's not been showing anything at all...I'm looking into that) but luckily not many people use Zimbra.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free