IOS7 changing how pre-text(or preview text) being read

Just had this one come to me from my team.  It has been standard practice to embed any pre-text (or preview text if you would) into the alt tag of a 1x1 pixel gif in the head of all our campaigns.  However, just recently, a client said that on IOS7, this trick isn't working anymore; and the preview text is instead pulling straight from the text version of the email instead.

Since IOS7 is such a big marketshare of email opens in general, I will discuss with our team that perhaps we should have a visible pre-header, as others in the industry have suggested and prescribed.

Alex I., 3 years ago

Hi Ben,

You can still hide pre-header text. I wrote a quick blog piece on how to do it which you can find here

Love to hear how you get on.

Alex.

BenjaminGraphics83 BenjaminGraphics83, 3 years ago

Will this work with Gmail? Last I checked, Gmail is still incredibly aggressive with forcing all display: none's into blocks.

zerocents zerocents, 3 years ago

Gmail still respects display: none !important. This is one of those rare cases where it comes in handy. It won't work in Outlook 07-13 however.

<div style="display: none !important; mso-hide: all">Preheader text</div>

Another technique is to make the preheader text the same colour as the background.

Michael Muscat

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098