Outlook 2013 limiting/truncating table td's

I am working on a fix for renderingproblems in Outlook 2013. The line-height-bug for Outlook 2013 is solved with the conditional-comments fix.

<!--[if gte mso 15]>
   <style>
    /* Outlook 2013 Height Fix */
   body table.converted { font-size: 0; line-height: 0; }
   table.converted tr { font-size:1px; mso-line-height-alt:0; mso-margin-top-alt:1px; mso-height-source:0;}
   table.converted td { font-size: 0px; line-height: 0;width:1px; mso-width-source:1px;}
   </style>
<![endif]-->

But it seems to me that there is a limitation to the number of columns that can be used in Outlook 2013 on the horizontal axis.
I have added two links to show what happens with my html-code:

1) Rendering in a conversion-to-code-test with the Pixlcodr-logo block (width = 48px) > https://litmus.com/pub/4aa61da
2) Rendering in a conversion-to-code-test with the full Pixlcodr-logo (width = 210px) > https://litmus.com/pub/0c0bf5b

As you can see the first image-to-code example is rendered okay in all mailclients.
In the second one the logo is cut of at a width of approx. 63 pixels + it's stretched in Outlook 2013. In all other mailclients the rendering is okay.

Is there a known bug for this? And even more important: Is there a fix for this problem?

BThies BThies, 3 years ago

Hi PIXLC0DR,

Use this in the head instead:

<!--[if gte mso 15]>
<style type="text/css">
    table { font-size:1px; line-height:0; mso-margin-top-alt:1px; }
</style>
<![endif]-->

and since you'll be using so many small pixel tables, I'd recommend doing the following:

For every <tr>, add this:

<tr style="font-size:1px; line-height:0; -webkit-text-size-adjust:none;">

and for every <td> add this:

<td width="1"><font style="display:none;">&#8203;</font></td>

Outlook 2013 is a nightmare when it comes to pixel based images.


Brian Thies
Professional Email Developer
Thies Publishing
PIXLC0DR, 3 years ago

Thanks Brian, I will implement a new test and post it here. Outlook 2013 is indeed a nightmare... I will keep you posted!

PIXLC0DR, 3 years ago

I have made a test with the suggestions as posted by Brian Thies. The results are not as expected: https://litmus.com/pub/f8f60fe
I think there is a limitation to the number of columns you can use in the Word-rendering engine. And that causes all trouble. I found this link on the Internet:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/offi … 087b7b1dbd

I hope to get some feedback on this issue.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098