40% of subscribers didn't opened or clicked in 2013... should I worry

Thanks to the campaign monitor segment tool, I realized recently that 40% of the subscribers of my main list never opened an email or never clicked in 2013. Should I worry ? Though we are very happy with the interractions of most of our campaigns, I am afraid Google, yahoo and other providers would notice that a large amount of the recipients do nothing and that our reputation as as sender will eventually decreased.

Is there a technical risk to send to a large amount of subscriber that just do nothing ? I think the next step is to contact these people in order to know why they have been so quiet. But I wanted to know if these numbers are very high ? Any tips, links, information will be gladly appreciated.

Alex I., 3 years ago

Hi Digital,

What a great question. There are lots of answers to this so I'll try and cover a few different things.

What type of product/information are you selling/advertising/sending?
If you're sending, for example, holiday emails you're more than likely not going to get an open unless someone is specifically looking for a holiday.

Conversions aren't linear
Just because someone hasn't clicked an email/opened an email doesn't mean they aren't converting. You're reinforcing your brand by sending out those emails.

Maybe you need to re-engage
A re-engagement campaign could help you with this but it really does depend on what and why you're sending stuff and why you're trying to re-engage people.

Are you sending to dead emails?
In regards to your question about the technical risk, you should be fine! Just keep an eye on your bounce rates and unsubscribes. They'll be a good indication of dead emails.

Just a few points but hopefully something will help you.

Thanks,
Alex.

digital, 3 years ago

Thanks for your input Alex. We sell visits of Paris through our website and emailings. The subscribers are mainly people living in the Paris area and we were just surprised to discover that 40% of them were very quiet.

Visit North East Paris :
St-Denis Basilica | Air & Space Museum | St-Ouen Flea Market | Stade de France
Alex I., 3 years ago
digital :

Thanks for your input Alex. We sell visits of Paris through our website and emailings. The subscribers are mainly people living in the Paris area and we were just surprised to discover that 40% of them were very quiet.

No worries! If you wanted to send me an example of one of them I'd love that! If you can, send it through to alex.ilhan[at]outlook.com

I'd say the fact it's a fairly "bespoke" product, or at least one that people won't be doing week in week out could affect this. That said, there might be a few quick "easy wins" you could employ to your program.

Thanks,
Alex.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098