Recurring RSS newsletter - accessing password-protected content

We run a monthly newsletter using the new automated recurring RSS feed function.

The RSS feed page itself is publicly available, but draws from a password-protected news source, so doesn't display any news items unless the user is logged in.

I managed to find a way around this by copying a technique I found somewhere else - entering the RSS feed url in Campaign Monitor like this: http://user:password@website.com/feed/

While that technique has worked ok up to now, it seems a bit dodgy - if I change the password, the feed in Campaign Monitor stops working.

Is there an approved/better way to handle this?

paulw paulw, 2 years ago

Hey Tom,

I'm sure we can work out a solution for you here! So that we can help, would you be able to send a quick email to support@campaignmonitor.com with your account details. We can then take a look at your RSS campaign and work out the best way to set this up.

Thanks Tom!

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
paulw paulw, 2 years ago

Hi Tom,

I have had a quick chat with our team here, at the moment there isn't an approved method to set this up I'm afraid.

If you change your password for the secure RSS feed, it will be necessary to manually update the RSS feed URL in the application by editing the campaign.

Another option would be to provide an unprotected feed URL, but whitelist our servers by IP address to read the feed.

Hope this could work for you!

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
tomstringer, 2 years ago

Thanks Paul

It would be great to add this feature at some point in the future - I'm sure we're not the only ones who would like to be able to create newsletter campaigns from secure sources.

I'll follow up your suggestion.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098