Gmail for Android - Adjusting text size due to auto-fit?

I know that Gmail for Android will auto-fit or resize the desktop version of an email to fit within the viewport of the device in use. I found the solution here on CM for helping to prevent weird squishing of columns and images due to the auto-fit (using a min-width on container tables/cells) - works great!

However what I haven't figured out is how to get the copy to resize properly! Unlike Gmail for iOS which scales the entire email perfectly in proportion, Gmail for Android just squishes the email within the viewport, and the text will wrap differently then in other "desktop" environments, often causing the text to be "longer" within the email.

Recently I had a design come to me that due to this "bug", was just not possible to implement because it broke the design, and another less complex design was used in the end - which is totally fine, but this bug is annoying!

So is there a possible solution for this? I have tried using both the meta viewport tag in the Head, as well as adding -webkit-text-size-adjust:none (to the HTML, Body, and directly on the text itself), but nothing has had any effect.

Any help or insight would be great!

roshodgekiss roshodgekiss, 2 years ago

Hi CourtFantinato, we've had a couple of reports of this issue and indeed, been pretty stumped about how to resize the text to fit the viewport properly. Sometimes it's caused by an image (or another element) pushing out the width of a column, so worth checking if this is the case. If we do come up with a hardy solution, we'll be sure to update this thread.

In the interim, I strongly encourage using a one-column layout as to avoid most text resizing issues. Sorry we don't have a more definitive answer for you yet!

Get in touch with us on Twitter:
We're also on Facebook:
CourtFantinato, 2 years ago

Thanks for the reply roshodgekiss! I figured as much, but just wanted to make sure. I hope that some sort of update is released by Gmail, or some crazy fix is figured out soon.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free