Use of tel:

Hey

I'm using <a href="tel:+35316774444">link</a> to allow iOS to dial the number but it's opening a new browser window instead of dialling. Pretty sure I'm missing something pretty basic but at a loss at the moment.

Anyone any pointers?

paulw paulw, 2 years ago

Hey a_topping,

Because the system converts those tel: links to tracking links, when the link is clicked you are directed to a blank browser page. You can add the cm_dontconvertlink to the <a href> tag to stop the link being converted and your link should work well!

Hope this helps!

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
a_topping, 2 years ago

thanks paulw - spot on!

harris.ric harris.ric, 2 years ago

Apologies for jumping on the thread but I have a related question.

Is it possible to apply the tel link to a multiline field via the content editor? We have a custom template in which the client is able to input their own body content via a multiline tag. The client always signs off the content with their telephone number but I can see no way to reliably apply the tel link to this.

I attempted to manually wrap the telephone number in an <a> tag via the source editor though it doesn't seem to work. It visually gives the appearance of a link but it is not recognised as an active tel link in iOS.

Many Thanks,
Richard.

gotmike, 1 year ago

and how do you make this work with an image in the email editor interface? all we get is an option for "link" and "alt"

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098