I've setup a customized subject line on a campaign using this format:
[fullname,fallback=Member], here is your monthly newsletter
It works great in Outlook / Hotmail / Gmail, but when I go to open it on my mobile (Android / K9Mail) in may case... the subject line comes out at:
=?utf-8?Q??= Member, here is your monthly newsletter
I'm not sure why it's adding the extra characters at the front. I read some mail servers have problems handling non-ascii characters so I don't know if the bracket is messing it up or what "[" ? I'm pretty sure I have the proper meta tag in the email too specifying it's utf-8
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
Any ideas as to why it would be doing this to the subject line, only on my mobile device?
Your campaign is setup correctly and this personalisation tag should work okay across all programs. We encode custom field data to utf-8 and we do this using QEncoding in subject lines. There are rare times that email clients misinterpret it and you see errors like the one you saw for Android / K9 Mail.
Our development team are aware of similar problems to this and I have updated them with the details of this case to see if this can help. This is a tricky issue to fix because it's primarily a problem with how these programs are rendering the subject line.
It's worth checking to see if there are any options which allow you to set the default character encoding for the K9 Mail client as this may be the route of the difficulty here.
Sorry for the hassle with this, hopefully there is a permanent solution.
That's totally understandable. As long as I know it's on the email clients end of things and there's really nothing I can do about it and it's coded correctly, it's easier to tell a client and have them make a decision regarding using a custom subject line or not. I'll check my K9 mail setting, but hopefully developers of these apps will tweak either the apps or default settings to fix these little bugs. Thanks for your help.