I think could create more lightweight files by allowing the user to customise its output.

Ideally we should be writing css inline so we don't need inliners in the first place, however Zurb's wonderful mobile framework Ink is set up so that we're editing css externally (ink.css and custom.css) and then inlining as a final step.

I found using Zurb's inliner introduced inheritance issues so have switched to Campaign Monitor's, which is excellent.

The problem with is that my html files were previously 40 or 50kb, but after inlining they're around the 120kb mark. I believe 120kb is large enough to trigger iOS Mail (and possibly others) to truncate my email.

It would be great if had a few customisation options before inlining. For instance it added the following declarations 44 times to my page:

background-image:none;background-repeat:repeat;background-position:top left;background-attachment:scroll;

I know I don't need that in my design, and by removing all instances cut the file size down by 5kb. Those declarations aren't in my own css so assume adds them by default. This is one example of a handful.

My suggestion would be to place pre-checked checkboxes, below the inliner text field, for a handful of non essential css declarations. Each one would include a short explanation of why they're included by default.

Either way is provided for free and I'm very grateful for it! Thanks CM.

crozynski, 2 years ago

If you're getting white blocks beneath your headings and paragraphs on a coloured background in Outlook 2007 and 2010, it's because adds a background-color declaration to the children of the element (presumably table or td) that also has the background-color declaration.

This doubling up causes the aforementioned issue in Outlook 2007 and 2010. Removing the declaration from the child elements will fix it. For instance this:

<td style="background-color:red;">
  <p style="background-color:red;">Some text</p>

Would cause a white box to appear in Outlook 2007/2010. Removing the background-color dec from the p tag will fix the issue.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free