Table of contents structure

Hello, I've been trying to figure out exactly how the <repeatertitle/> tag works. My client puts about 20 articles in their internal newsletter and wants the TOC to display in two or three columns. At the moment, the best I can do is get them to display in a line or in a list.

Is there a way to get them to display in their own table cells?

Thanks

JD JD, 2 years ago

Hi Nitch! The <repeatertitle> tag is used to pull in the headline or title of a repeating section, into the Table of Contents. Having that tag will ensure that title is placed in the TOC and is linked to that particular article down in the content. The TOC is just a list of those titles placed wherever you place the <tableofcontents> tags.

<ul>
    <tableofcontents>
        <li>
            <repeatertitle/>
        </li>
    </tableofcontents>
</ul>

So, it will always follow a "list" like display. You could possibly try using CSS columns to have the list wrap into those different areas - say as the solution here. I've also added a vote on your behalf to possibly have multiple TOC sections as a feature request, that might help these types of cases. I hope that helps!

JD
Campaign Monitor Support
nitch, 2 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I'll take a look at CSS columns but I'm a bit wary as to how it may appear in some clients.

I've decided against using a list and instead it just adds it in a line like this:

<td valign="top" width="600" align="left" style="text-align: left;font-family: Arial, sans-serif; color: #ffffff; font-size: 16px;">
    <tableofcontents>
        &bull; <repeatertitle/>&nbsp;&nbsp;
    </tableofcontents>
</td>

The titles just show up with a bullet each and a couple spaces between them and just wrap around like a paragraph.

Thanks for your help

troygbiv, 10 months ago

I'm in the same boat. I just spent a significant amount of time creating a fluid template that has the table of contents (i.e. jumplinks) split into two tables that are side-by-side, or horizontally stacked depending on the available display space. I don't have time to look into major modifications. At this point I don't see how the existing TOC can be of use to me, but if there were a way to specific multiple TOCs, that would solve this issue.

Join 150,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098