Outlook 2007+ and CSS border widths

Hello,

I have read the Outlook 2007+ supports borders aside from on images. However, I noticed when using CSS borders on an <a> tag for a button, Outlook 2007 collapses the borders making them smaller, so the button looks like it has less spacing around the button text. The button looks okay (better than using padding), but I have't found anything online about this.

I have also noticed if you apply CSS borders to a TD, Outlook 2007+ also makes the borders smaller if it is above a certain width (1px is fine, but say if it's 10px it will be shrunk down).

Has anyone else run into this issue and does anyone know if there is a solution? It would be great if this could work, especially for buttons, because it wouldn't require the use of the VML solution for buttons for Outlook 2007+.

Thanks!

Stig Stig, 2 years ago

Hey CourtFantinato,

I've run into the same issue myself unfortunately – borders on elements like links and <div>s (not sure about tables off the top of my head) are limited to a width of 8px according to my testing. This might vary based on the particular circumstances though.

I might add that I tried workarounds like mso-border-alt, to no avail.

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
CourtFantinato, 2 years ago

Hi Stig,

Yeah! They get limited to 8px as well for me. It is very odd because from what I have read it should support borders, but as far as I'm concerned this isn't really full support. I'm surprised this hasn't been documented anywhere. I hope to try some testing for workarounds as well.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098