Adding html5 video tags inside editable fields

Hi,

I'm experimenting with video in emails, fully aware of the support for it and possibe pitfalls.

I have normal multiline fields in the template and I'm adding the video tags through the source code view.

The problem is, everytime I save it, more source tags are added into the content. The original code stays intact, so it's fairly easy to clean up this extra crud.

I'm adding both mp4 and ogg versions, so I have the source tags inside a video tag, like this:

<video controls>
  <source src="foo.ogg" type="video/ogg">
  <source src="foo.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  Your browser does not support the <code>video</code> element.
</video>

Both of the source tags are added elsewhere inside the same field twice after saving.

Are you aware of this and is there a workaround? Thanks!

paulw paulw, 2 years ago

Hey jpjoki, thank you for letting us know about the problem here and sorry about the trouble!

I also saw the same problem when I ran some tests. However the additional </source> tab didn't appear to effect the display of the video when I sent an email, did you find a problem?

I wasn't able to find a way to ensure extra tag wasn't created, but hopefully this is something we can get sorted soon. If you are finding that the additional </source> tag stops the video from displaying, would you be able to drop an email to <a href="http://help.campaignmonitor.com/support">support</a> with your account details and we can take a look.

Thanks again!

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
jpjoki, 2 years ago

Thanks for the quick answer!

I haven't dared to left the source tags in, so I've just edited them out every time. The source tags themselves didn't seem to cause any issues, but some of them were wrapped in paragraph tags, which introduced unwanted margins into the email.

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098