Gmail cellspacing

Hi,

I seem to return to the issue of how Gmail deals with table cell spacing more than anything else, and here I am again!

The full email that I'm working on is here

The orange borders between cells need to be consistent with the outer border.

Here is just a simple test email I put together to confirm what was happening in Gmail.

If possible I want to avoid using cell borders since it results in a double-width line where the cells touch.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Ian

paulw paulw, 2 years ago

Hey acidproductUK, thanks for posting in the forums!

Managing borders can be tricky and it's always worth testing thoroughly each time as different table structures can cause niggling problems. I have found that the CSS border property is the best way to go for the most part.

You can avoid the double border by setting the border for each side of the cell or turning it off for a specific side. Here is an example of how you could set that up:

border: #ff6f49 solid 3px; border-right:none;

Hope that could work for you! Thanks again :)

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks.
Redferret, 2 years ago

Have you tried border-collapse:collapse;?

Gmail app apologist
acidproductUK acidproductUK, 2 years ago

Sorry for not replying sooner, other jobs got in the way!

Thanks Redferret, border-collapse:collapse did the trick nicely. Even works in Outlook, too.

Thanks Paul, I had thought of doing that, but wanted to avoid something with so many separate classes if possible. Will bear it in mind for other things though!

Ian Davies
Acid Product
Audio Visual Presentations, Web Design, Print Design and Creative Technology Consultancy in Rugby, UK

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098