Office 365 Outlook Web Adding Text Justification

I've searched far and wide for a solution to the Outlook Web App contained in Office 365 automatically adding text-align: justify to all my TDs, but I haven't found anything. I have found that rendering in OWA is absolutely dismal, but I really need a solution to override the automatic justification that the app seems to be adding. Any ideas?

davidaf davidaf, 2 years ago

Hi tconway,

I've just done some testing on some fairly simple code, and found the following:

align="center" on the parent <td> results in centered text

<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr>
        <td align="center"><table width="500" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
            <tr>
                <td>
                    <p>Bacon ipsum dolor sit amet chuck jerky frankfurter brisket boudin meatball. Biltong beef ham, tongue kevin jerky venison turkey chuck. Chicken jowl sausage short loin tri-tip. Pancetta ham pork loin meatball chuck bacon pork sirloin. Strip steak filet mignon spare ribs bresaola beef.</p>
                </td>
            </tr>
        </table></td>
    </tr>
</table>

No defined alignment on any <td> tags results in left aligned text

<tr>
        <td><table width="500" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
            <tr>
                <td>
                    <p>Bacon ipsum dolor sit amet chuck jerky frankfurter brisket boudin meatball. Biltong beef ham, tongue kevin jerky venison turkey chuck. Chicken jowl sausage short loin tri-tip. Pancetta ham pork loin meatball chuck bacon pork sirloin. Strip steak filet mignon spare ribs bresaola beef.</p>
                </td>
            </tr>
        </table></td>
    </tr>
</table>

align="left" defined on inner <td> results in justified text

<tr>
        <td><table width="500" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
            <tr>
                <td align="left">
                </td>
            </tr>
        </table></td>
    </tr>
</table>

So, it seems defining the align="left" on a <td> will result in justified text, and defining align="center" will result in centered text. Apparently Outlook 365 will convert all your <p> tags to <div> tags on top of everything else  -
Here's an interesting article from Email on Acid's talking about some of the peculiarities of Office 365, and how it mangles your code.

Unfortunately, time is not permitting me to find a workaround to the issues, but hopefully this little bit of extra info can help you on the road to a good solution!

The Campaign Monitor Blog – HTML email smarts to go with your good looks

Join 200,000 companies around the world that use Campaign Monitor to run email marketing campaigns that deliver results for their business.

Get started for free
1-888-533-8098